PRETORIA – During a predawn operation this morning eight (8) members, a former Lieutenant General of the South African Police Service and six private citizens were arrested on Warrants of Arrest issued on multiple charges including Fraud, Corruption, Theft and Money Laundering.
The National Commissioner of Police, General Khehla John Sitole established a Special Anti-Corruption Task Team under the leadership of Brigadier Tony Perumal following serious allegations of corruption and related crimes which date back to 2017.
This team and its investigations have been supported by a prosecution team from the Investigative Directorate within the National Prosecuting Authority under leadership of Advocate Hermione Cronje.
Since 2017 this task team has been conducting a widespread intensive investigation into tender fraud related to the marking of police vehicles. During these investigations nine (9) members of the SAPS including senior officers, private company directors and employees are alleged to have been involved in an elaborate act to defraud the State.
This morning, during a predawn raid the task team simultaneously arrested the following suspects at their respective places of residence:-
– Retired Lieutenant General Ramahlapi Johannes Mokwena (60) (Former Divisional Commissioner: Supply Chain Management, Pretoria Head Office) arrested in Rethabile;
– Brigadier James Ramanjalum (55) (Former Section Head Procurement) arrested in Rooihuiskraal,
– Brigadier Jabez Naidoo (49) (Station Commander: Point Police Station (KZN) and Former SCM Head, Western Cape) arrested in Durban;
– Brigadier Lesetja David Mogotlane (57) (Section Head: Mechanical Services) arrested in Soshanguwe;
– Colonel Thomas Dumisani Marima (50) (Section Commander: Vehicles and Tactical Equipment)
– Lieutenant Colonel Veeran Naipal (47) (Vehicle Support: Pretoria Central Garage)
– Lieutenant Colonel Alpheus Nkosibanke Makhetha (46) (Technical Expert: Vehicle Fleet)
– Admin Clerk Jacoba Magadela Havenga (49) (Chief Prov Clerk: New Vehicle Store, WC)
– SAC Marcell Duan Marney (33) (Chief Provisioning Clerk to Brigadier Ramanjalum)
– Krishna Chetty (62) arrested in Centurion
– Kishene Chetty (38) arrested in Centurion;
– Lorrette Joubert (44) (Owner of Vatika Trading), arrested in Mountain View, Pretoria;
– Maricha Joubert (24) arrested in Mountain View, Pretoria;
– Kumarasen Prithviraj (owner of Kgotho) arrested in Mountain View, Pretoria;
– Volan Prithviraj (son of Kumarasen) arrested in Pretoria;
The pending arrest of a Lieutenant Colonel will bring the total to 10 the number of police officers arrested.
General Sitole praised the Task Team for the zest and determination they showed in the pursuance of this investigation.
“I have been kept abreast of this extensive and very complicated investigation since its inception”, said General Sitole.
“I am confident that the cases against the arrested suspects are water-tight”, added General Sitole.
The suspects are expected to appear in court/s yet to be determined either today or tomorrow.
“We cannot rule out the possibility of more arrests being effected in this matter adding that corruption within the SAPS will neither be condoned nor tolerated”, concluded General Sitole.
Source: South African Police Service