City’s R4,7bn assistance campaign visits Khayelitsha

The City will be at the Solomon Mahlangu Community Hall in Khayelitsha tomorrow, 24 November 2022, to assist residents who may benefit from its indigent assistance on offer. The City continues with its indigent benefits and rates relief campaign drive across the metro and encourages residents to apply and to speak to an official about whether they might qualify.

Upcoming events are as follows:

24 November 2022 09:30 – 15:30 Solomon Mahlangu Community Hall, Khayelitsha
1 December 2022 09:30 – 15:30
Avondale Community Hall, Atlantis

8 December 2022
09:30 –


Lobelia Community Hall, Lentegeur

The City’s Customer Relations Department will also assist residents with logging service requests.

‘We encourage residents who may be struggling to access the City’s available assistance to approach us. Our officials will be at more upcoming events and we are ready to assist many more residents’.

‘Our teams are also assisting beneficiaries with the registration process, forms and required documentation, and capturing information accurately. Depending on a resident’s unique circumstances, rebates of up to 100% on municipal rates and refuse removal can be granted,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Siseko Mbandezi.

The cost of the City’s social package for the 2022/23 financial year amounts to R4,7 billion, and includes R2,3 billion for indigent relief and R1,45 billion for rates relief. Those who have qualified for indigent benefits in the past must remember that they need to apply yearly for the benefit, except pensioners who may apply to renew their benefit every three years.

Whether residents qualify for indigent support or indigent rates relief depends on monthly household income. If the total household income is R7 500 or less per month, residents could qualify for a discount on water, sewerage, electricity, waste collection and property rates.

Residents may qualify for indigent support if they:

• are a homeowner

• earn R7 500 or less per month

• own only one property

• are the full-time occupant of the home

• use the home mainly for residential purposes

• are a child who lives in the home of a parent who has passed away

• received the house in a divorce settlement

• depend on a pension or a social grant for their livelihood

Applicants will need:

• proof of identification (ID book/card or passport)

• a bank statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bank account

• a bond statement for the last three months or a sworn affidavit stating that they do not have a bond account

• a copy of the estate documents if the applicant has inherited his or her house

If residents are employed, they must also include:

• latest salary/wage pay slip or a letter from an employer stating their income

• a sworn affidavit if they are self-employed stating how much is earned per month

• proof if a disability grant, maintenance grant or pension is received

If residents are unemployed, they must include the following in the application:

• a sworn affidavit stating that they are unemployed

• a sworn affidavit stating that they have no other source of income

Useful contacts and information:

For rates or services relief

Visit: or a City customer office.

Pensioner rates relief

Pensioners 60 years or older and people who receive social grants amounting to no more than R17 500 may qualify for a rates rebate of between 10% and 100%. They are invited to go to the nearest City customer care office or send an email to
For more information on how to apply for pensioner support:
For payment arrangements

For a list of the City’s Cash Offices and Walk-in Centres, please visit:

Caption: Langa residents visit the City’s intervention and receive assistance at the Zone 25 Community Hall in the area.

Source: City Of Cape Town